Nebraska. The good life. Situated in the Midwest. The heart of America. I was born and raised in Nebraska and by the time I turned 18 I was more than out of there! I packed my bags and moved…. and moved… and moved… and moved. Seriously… from Colorado to South Carolina to Georgia and to Kansas City. By the time eight years had come and gone I decided that I was ready to go back home!
It took me a full eight years to realize I was yearning for Midwestern hospitality and my homegrown roots. That is why I decided to take my first, (and second), travel nursing job back in my home state… Nebraska! I signed a contract at Methodist Women’s Hospital in Omaha and home I went! Now before you think to yourself… “What is there to do in NEBRASKA!?”…. I am here to tell you just that! For those of you passing through, or moving into Omaha here is where you’ll find a comprehensive list of all things “Omaha, Nebraska”. Welcome to my home state!
- Our first claim to fame is the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium. It is currently the number one zoo in the WORLD! I would highly recommend everyone coming to Omaha if only to visit the zoo! There is always events going on and while most things are family friendly, some things are adult only.
- Our second claim to fame is the College World Series (CWS). It is an annual two-ish week baseball tournament held in downtown Omaha. There are beer tents everywhere, people moseying around, and grill outs happening on every corner. I always relate the CWS to football tailgating on crack. For two weeks.
- Disclaimer: I’m a good judge of football tailgating because I did go to school in the South! Shout-out to my Clemson Tigers!
- Our third, (and last), claim to fame is none other than Omaha Steaks. They can be shipped anywhere in the US and makes for great presents and holiday meals! I have gifted Omaha Steaks to people many times and they have yet to disappoint!
- Cheer on the Huskers at Memorial Stadium! Okay, so technically this is in Lincoln, not Omaha… but can anyone say day trip?
- Ever wanted to be in two places at once? (Thanks A Walk to Remember). Well, Nebraska (and Iowa) has you covered! Head to the pedestrian bridge and literally straddle the state line between Nebraska and Iowa! You officially have lifetime bragging rights.
- Champagne on tap? Omaha has you covered! Head to the Homey Inn for just that – champagne on tap!
- Want to feel like you’re in a big city eating at a fine dining restaurant? Head to the Grey Plume. Most famous (in my personal opinion) for their charcuterie. All the heart eyes.
- Go cow tipping. Just kidding. Please don’t. I’m pretty sure this is illegal. But, we are known for our cows (and corn)! So instead head to The Drover Restaurant and Lounge for their infamous whiskey steak.
- If you happen to visit Omaha between June and July take advantage of Jazz on the Green! Head to Midtown Crossing with a blanket and picnic basket for a night of fun and jazz. This is only held on Thursday nights.
- Catch a concert at the Waiting Room or the Slow Down. Saddle Creek Records is an independent record label who brings tons of artists to town! Who knows, you might even rub elbows with Lady Gaga. But seriously, this did happen to my sister!
- Head to Krug Park for their world famous Bloody Mary’s. And by world famous I mean famous to Omaha. According to me. So head to Krug Park for their Omaha famous Bloody Mary’s according to Kylee.
- Finally…. Get lost in a cornfield! Or two… there are plenty to choose from!